Friday, May 20, 2011

What a game...

So 2 of my children had baseball games last night. For the youngest one it was his last one. Only about half of his team was there. The other team looked to be a little smaller than normal too. Really people? The kids seem to have more fun though. It didn't take as long to get through the innings and they didn't seem to get bored out in the field. It cracks me up when the slide into home. After one slide into home last night my little came up to me and proudly states "Look at my pants!" with the biggest smile ever. He is really going to miss tball and all the friends one the team.

The other game was my oldest. It started out kinda slow for them. The other team hit really well in the first inning and our boys didn't hit bad they just couldn't bring it all in. Then it picked up for them. Now I am not sure what the score was because I stopped counting the first inning. I do know that at some point the other team had 6 or 7 runs and we were down. Here lies the problem. I sit behind home plate most of the time and from one side I am hearing the score is 6-4 them on the other side I am hearing the score is 7-4 them. Time expires and we are finishing the inning. It was the bottom of the 4 inning we were up to bat when the third run comes in, they call the game(we still have a runner on 1st and one out left). We won. But then the coaches from the other team say no its tied up now. It knew this was going to happen. I could see it coming from a mile away. As the coaches are talking about it the umpire tells the boys to put up the mound (because it artificial) and the bases. So they do. There were alot of what must have been 5th or 6th graders there watching the other team (they had had a game earlier). They and the other parents were, for lack of a better word, unruly. They were upset, which is fine. They thought their children were being cheated but that anger and frustration does not need to be directed at the children on our team. They aren't the ones who keep score, nor the one that called the game. Well after all that they decide that they are going to playing. They get the mound and bases back out and the runner goes back to first. We have 2 outs. The runner steals second and the batter hits a pop fly to the out field. They miss the catch and it goes to the fence. Now the runner on second runs all the way to home. It isn't even going to be close. He crosses home and the other team starts screaming he didn't touch the plate. He goes back to touch it and now it is close and he is called out. First of all you can still see the cleat print on the plate where he touched it in the first place. Second of all the umpire was half way up the third base line. I don't know why the home plate ump would be there any way there were no close calls to be made any where but home. That's the second time the game should have been over but wasn't. At this point the kids in the stands were taunting the players. I have no idea how over time works in little league but the other team gets up to bat and the trash talk gets even worse. A mother even decides to join in. They score 5 and its our turn we only get 3. The game is finally over. Its now almost 11 on a school night and I am glad its over...even with the loss.

Now I would never let my children speak like those children were. I especially wouldn't allow them to taunt another child. And a parent joining in on all the "fun" just blows my mind. At some point enough needs to be enough. There came a point that I just had to walk away because I couldn't take any more. I had bit my tongue but I can only handle disrespect for so long. Even as I was walking to my car I could hear one of the boys saying "How do you like that?" "Whats up now?" to one of our team. Really? I don't think there was ever a time in my life that I wanted to slap another persons child more than that one right.

Dear young fans and that one special mother,
You were a disgrace not only to yourselves but to the team on the field. You should be ashamed of yourself.

No comments: