Tuesday, January 22, 2013

AHHH

Let me start this by saying I am not perfect by any means and I know it.

I do not understand what is happening in our schools. How is it that you can graduate from high school without knowing how to speak? Without knowing how to read? Without knowing how to write (type)? Without knowing how to add, subtract, multiply and divide?  Those are basic skills needed in life.  I have had to unfriend a few people on facebook because reading their post makes me so pissed off.  They just finished high school last May, I don't understand how one can post things like :
Got love wake n being sick so I guess I well get up n pick up the house n take a bath then back to bed I go n sleep all day );

Had a good day with them (: I love having a day with them thanks you mom for let me had a day with my baby girls (: love y'all baby girl (:
 
AHHHHH!  I know I make mistakes but every single one of her post are like this.  I also know her and know she can not add or subtract money.  I blame the school for letting her graduate.  Don't get me wrong, I know its take the school, teachers, and parents to educate a child, however it is the schools job to make sure they are educated before giving out diplomas. 

Some teachers drive me crazy.  It's not ok for my kids to do an entire six weeks worth of work in one week.  No mater how many times I get on to them about their school work, if you keep letting them get away with that, they will continue to do it.  If the only time you post grades is at the end of the six weeks, I don't even know they are doing it until its too late.  I think children should get the grade they earn.  If they do half the work they should get half the grade and if they don't bother to do it in the first place they should get a big fat zero.   If they didn't study for the test then they should keep the grade that shows it.  Now I am not anti help the kids.  I know sometimes they are going to forget but let there be some kind of consequence for it.  If they forget their homework one night let them complete it turn it in, but give them an extra assignment too.  If they fail a test let them retake it but make them come to tutorials twice (on their own time not classroom time) and then retake the test. Instead of multiple choice make it fill in the blank or essay. Only give them the extra opportunities so many times and then let them be stuck with what they have earned.    A diploma should be harder to get than just showing up (some don't even do that). It should mean something.

Oh and by the way, I don't care if my kids are not allowed to play football, basketball, baseball, or any other sport because they didn't pass their classes. If they don't pass them they will be lucky to see the sunshine until they do pass them.  I spend anywhere from one to three or four hours doing homework with my kids each night ( I have five so sometimes it takes a while),  I get on to them when I see a zero or even a low grade posted,  I ask about homework and test.  I am concerned, interested, and involved in my children and their education.  I am not the parent that will blame a teacher because my child did not pass. I am the parent that wants to know if they are not doing their work or they are struggling.

No comments: